PDA

View Full Version : Only thing my father only said about WWII and his service

Bill99
07-05-2010, 08:13
When I was a little kid my dad used to make breakfast on Sunday after me and my brother got home from our paper routes. My dad was an old guy when he went into WWIi and was 50 when I was born. During the 60's we used to play combat, and army and somehow I must have said something he didn't like. Dad was a real quiet guy. My brother doesn't remember the story, but dad got real mad, and pulled off his glasses and said, "see this scar, if the bullet whould have been a fraction of an inch to the other side, you wouldn't be here." Dad died in 1990. In 2000 while driving to a cousins house I had only met once after attending my first reunion of his military unit, my cousin pulled out a box of pictures. In that box was a picture of my dad with the caption, "Joe H------'s narrow escape from a snipers bullet last fall at Aachen. He came real close to getting it, and I can see why he never talked about the war. I know he was at the VA post war for ptss, but his medical records indicated, "he has no use for a psychiatrist", so he delt with the war in his own way by trying to forget about it, like most of the other guys.

mike24d20
07-06-2010, 08:45
My dad was 39 driver an that was all he would say. They are gone now an the stories an history went with them . Bless all who made America great:: curse all who woul drag her into the mud.