PDA

View Full Version : Hoppes Bore Snake?

jaceglarek
07-02-2010, 06:28
Anyone using one of these to clean competition rifles? How well do they work? Any pitfalls? Also, what about using them with solvents like Butch's, Shooter's Choice, etc, that are designed to remove copper fouling, since it looks like these things have a bronze brush incorporated into them?

Thanks,

John

Dave in NGA
07-02-2010, 06:35
I've been using bore snakes for something like 10 years. I really like them since they overcome the issue of cleaning rods rubbing against the lands of bore. As you note, the typical bore cleaner will eat up the brush in the snake. It's important you add the solvent to the 'tail end' of the snake to minimize the contact with the brush portion in the other end of the snake. From time to time you should run your snakes through the wash to remove dirt and crud that will build up in the snake. Be sure to enclose the snake in a bag or old sock to keep it from wrapping around the agitator in the washer. If you jamb your wife's washer she really will get agitated!

joem
07-02-2010, 09:24
I use the snakes at the range right after I fire the last round. It seems to make cleaning easier once I get home.

Jeff L
07-02-2010, 04:42
I got one for my 03s and found it requires a lot more strength to get it through than using traditional brush and cleaning patches.

-Jeff L

joem
07-03-2010, 11:27
Jeff, try dropping the weight end down chamber, then put the weighted end around your shoe and lift the rifle.

S.A. Boggs
07-04-2010, 12:07
IMHO bore snake, in concept, are a good idea. It is just not real world. The bore snake will get dirty on the first and subsequent passes and need to be cleaned. Otherwise, this is just to reinvest the bore and subsequent bores with dirt and grime. I use the Otis system and it works like a charm. In one very small kit I can carry material to clean ANY bore, including shotgun and it does a great job.
Sam

Chris F
08-11-2010, 10:54
I've used a boresnake on my competition rifle. When I switched over to the AR15 Service Rifle, there was still things being learned about loads and what it took to make them work. Lacking time, I found that BlackHills Reman 68's shot good enough to clean the SR Targets. I also found that my rifle shot 80's with Varget well. So I invested what little reloading time I had into handloading 80/Varget for 600yds and I shot BH 68's at 200 and 300.

My first few times across the course, I was suddenly getting off call shots at 600 yards. After getting tired of questioning my hold, I got the idea that it might be a powder incompatibility, so I benched the rifle and shot BH's first then 80's/Varget. Sure enough, Scoped at 100yds, my groups with 80's became patterns when fired followed BH's.

My solution was to boresnake my barrel (dry, no solvent) after the 300yd stage. At our range, there really wasn't a good opportunity to rod and patch the barrel and I was just as concerned about a clean bore zero stepping to the stage most demanding of the rifle's accuracy and zero. Outcome was shots on call again (for better or worse). Long story to tell you that...yes they do work.

Oh yeah, yes they're tight and the brush requires some force to pull through. I finally "made" the time to reload in volume and switched to Reloder 15 across the course and haven't boresnaked since.

Aligater
08-19-2016, 12:50
Hoppe's makes two kinds: The Viper and the Regular Bore Snake..........The Viper ain't worth a damn...takes a gorilla to pull it through and then it has a tendency to break with the pulling....now you have a big problem trying to get a stuck snake out of your bore.....happened to me pulling a Viper through an '03.

John Sukey
08-22-2016, 11:36
Want to guess what they used to clean Enfield rifles? Only back then they were called "pull throughs"

S.A. Boggs
08-23-2016, 06:37
Why is it that shooters will spend a fortune on weapons, ammo and the like. The look for the cheapest way to clean the tube. Bore snakes are cheap and cheap is expensive in the long run. Use the Otis and forget others, always a clean patch, safe to the bore, compact and they work. In over 55 years of shooting I have tried just about all things. Can't tell you how many times I broke a cheap aluminum rod in the bore of my .22 trying to clean it. Where the patch attached is usually where it broke, all kinds of "miracle" cleaners that were a waste of $$. Bought the Otis with Kroil #9 and never looked back. I have a large plastic bin that I keep all of my cleaning supplies I.E. oils, plastilube, Kroi.#9, various patches, Sweet's 7.62. I will never run out of patches as my wife is constantly giving me cotton cloth that she has no use for in her quilts. I sure have some purity patches to use.
Sam

fguffey
11-29-2016, 06:52
It seems like years ago; I was at the local gun parts store when the owner was demonstrating a bore snake on a shot gun, I was impressed. It looked like he was pulling a feather duster through the bore. I do not know why but I said something like; "I make things like that but I use them on rifles like 25 Cal., 30 Cal. and bigger bores.

F. Guffey

dave
11-29-2016, 01:51
Bore snakes, pull thru's, what ever, were issued by many countries to their troops, for use when a rod was not available. They were and are a secondary cleaning method. But companies have come up with ad's and perhaps slight differences and are making money from people who like something new and get sold a bill of goods! A muzzle guide does away with any muzzle problem, if two fingers do not work!
Never use Alum. or jointed rods, only stainless one piece!

PhillipM
11-29-2016, 05:42
Hoppe's makes two kinds: The Viper and the Regular Bore Snake..........The Viper ain't worth a damn...takes a gorilla to pull it through and then it has a tendency to break with the pulling....now you have a big problem trying to get a stuck snake out of your bore.....happened to me pulling a Viper through an '03.

How did you remove it?

Happy OTIS user.

fguffey
11-30-2016, 04:44
Bore snakes, pull thru's, what ever...
Never use Alum. or jointed rods, only stainless one piece!

In the old days we ground the joints smooth and or we taped them and then we decided the rod should be pulled not pushed, and then one day a shooter called and complained about his bore snake stuck in the barrel. That was about the time I thought about my bore cleaner outer. It is impossible to lock up, come loose, touch the bore in the middle or either end and if it ever gets stuck I can take it apart in the bore.

Bore snakes, pull thru's, what ever, were issued by many countries to their troops, But if countries issued whatever to their troops I can understand why there is no interest. I did have a few in the family that came back with aluminum chains and cord with lead weights.

And then there was this picture that won an award, the picture had nothing to do with armorers but I found it interesting.

F. Guffey

PhillipM
11-30-2016, 12:34
Want to guess what they used to clean Enfield rifles? Only back then they were called "pull throughs"

I remember when Jim Keenan used to post on CSP. He said in his time in as an armorer he begged the NCOs to instruct the troops to never use a thong because when the jute string breaks, its a serious problem. He went on to say in his position he couldn't officially order them not to be used because they were on the list of approved equipment.

fguffey
12-04-2016, 09:52
After that they were left with bump sticks causing a problem with the taper at the muzzle? The kit at the time was soldier proof, gravity pulled the lead sinker through the barrel and the sinker was smaller in diameter than the bore. And then there was the brush, the brush only got smaller as it was used and from the start it was small enough in diameter. I have a few of the old cords that still work. But again, I make bore cleaners, they are impossible to lock up, jam or cause an obstruction, even if they did I can take them apart while in the bore.

And then there is that part about having nothing to remove an obstruction.

F. Guffey

John Sukey
12-15-2016, 02:38
While I use cleaning rods, all of my Enfields have a pull through in the butt as well as the oil bottle. (brass for the No1's and plastic for the No4's)

BlitzKrieg
07-16-2017, 06:19
Gents,

This poster is trying to leverage you out of the dark ages and get your attention: The Otis approach is the way to go. Forget about Pull Thru devices issued to troops, you are concerned about bore maintenance to preserve your bore and accuracy for a life time. For your purposes and mine, taking best care of bores is the end state.

I retired all my Dewey rods and brushes ten years ago. I use the Otis cables and patches to clean my bores
and I use state of art chemical to dissolve fouling and copper. Every 300 rds, I pull a patch of Patch Out (Midway and others sell this liquid), through the bore and let sit over night...it takes out about 90% of copper and all carbon from bore. My rifles like a bit of copper in bore for accuracy. Yes, I could run another patch of Patch Out in the bore if I wanted bore to be surgical clean but as said I like a bit of copper in bore. After such a treatment and right up to the next 300 round count fired, I merely pull a wet patch of CLP or Ballistol down the bore after range firing and leave it. Pull that out with 3 or 4 dry patches with the Otis cable before I head to range and shoot.

This is simple. This is fool proof. This has zero risk to bores and muzzles. Consider the Otis cable and
this approach.

Bore cleaning : this is a ritual that is hard to change minds about. Doing things the old way ...rodding bores and dragging brushes and ill fitting patches....yeah, you can and probably will but really, theres a simple easy way if you will open your minds.

Of course the Hoppes , Eds Red, Sweets 762 etc etc crowd will roll up and shout "Heresy"...but they're the same crew that denied gravity, round earth, sythetic engine oil and probably scotch tape. An open mind goes a long way.

As to the bore snake...half great idea if you think about it but my mind is closed on them: saw one break on a soldier in Iraq and his M4 was inoperative...... not something wonderful at all !! Won't happen with a Otis cable or an old fashion ram rod. Bore snakes have risk in my opinion and I won't chance a wad of crap stuck in any bore of mine and to prevent that, I won't consider a bore snake whatsoever.

and Yes, in Iraq, I used a Otis cable , CLP and since I had no Patch Out, I did pull a brush down bore but that was in a combat zone. Nowadays, my rigor in shooting is hauling weapons from truck to firing line and I don't have to make do with what basic tools the military issues , I have a choice and use better tools to clean my weapons. Choice is a wonderful thing.

So...stop the Voo Doo and rituals...Otis is the way to go.

JohnMOhio
07-16-2017, 09:22
I agree, Otis is the way to go.

S.A. Boggs
07-17-2017, 01:00
Gents,

This poster is trying to leverage you out of the dark ages and get your attention: The Otis approach is the way to go. Forget about Pull Thru devices issued to troops, you are concerned about bore maintenance to preserve your bore and accuracy for a life time. For your purposes and mine, taking best care of bores is the end state.

I retired all my Dewey rods and brushes ten years ago. I use the Otis cables and patches to clean my bores
and I use state of art chemical to dissolve fouling and copper. Every 300 rds, I pull a patch of Patch Out (Midway and others sell this liquid), through the bore and let sit over night...it takes out about 90% of copper and all carbon from bore. My rifles like a bit of copper in bore for accuracy. Yes, I could run another patch of Patch Out in the bore if I wanted bore to be surgical clean but as said I like a bit of copper in bore. After such a treatment and right up to the next 300 round count fired, I merely pull a wet patch of CLP or Ballistol down the bore after range firing and leave it. Pull that out with 3 or 4 dry patches with the Otis cable before I head to range and shoot.

This is simple. This is fool proof. This has zero risk to bores and muzzles. Consider the Otis cable and
this approach.

Bore cleaning : this is a ritual that is hard to change minds about. Doing things the old way ...rodding bores and dragging brushes and ill fitting patches....yeah, you can and probably will but really, theres a simple easy way if you will open your minds.

Of course the Hoppes , Eds Red, Sweets 762 etc etc crowd will roll up and shout "Heresy"...but they're the same crew that denied gravity, round earth, sythetic engine oil and probably scotch tape. An open mind goes a long way.

As to the bore snake...half great idea if you think about it but my mind is closed on them: saw one break on a soldier in Iraq and his M4 was inoperative...... not something wonderful at all !! Won't happen with a Otis cable or an old fashion ram rod. Bore snakes have risk in my opinion and I won't chance a wad of crap stuck in any bore of mine and to prevent that, I won't consider a bore snake whatsoever.

and Yes, in Iraq, I used a Otis cable , CLP and since I had no Patch Out, I did pull a brush down bore but that was in a combat zone. Nowadays, my rigor in shooting is hauling weapons from truck to firing line and I don't have to make do with what basic tools the military issues , I have a choice and use better tools to clean my weapons. Choice is a wonderful thing.

So...stop the Voo Doo and rituals...Otis is the way to go.
When our son's Ranger unit was deployed I sent him my cleaning kit, a complete Otis with a bottle of Kroil #9 and Sweet's 7.62. He said the kit came in handy many times. I tossed everything I had the first time that I used my Otis, it is almost idiot proof[nothing is 100%].
Sam

bigedp51
08-17-2017, 02:39
I use bore snakes at the range and when home I use foam bore cleaner - spare the rod and spoil the bore.

The main problem with a bore snake is not keeping it clean and not pulling it straight and rubbing the end of the bore. The armourers on the Enfield rifle would call this damage cord wear, meaning the dirty pull through or bore snake can act like sand paper when dirty.

The British pored two pints of boiling water down the bore to remove the carbon and corrosive salts from the primers after shooting. Then the pull through was use to oil the bore, of note the armourers decided when to use copper solvents to remove the copper in the bore.

I keep my bore snakes in zip lock bags and wash them frequently.

Below a fishing line bore snake for air rifles.

Air rifle barrel cleaning - easy, quick, cheap and effective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6HtNnfNOUg

XLF30
02-24-2018, 08:26
I just came back from the CMP Advanced Maintenance course. They told us to be very careful with bore snakes (they recommended against them) because they've seen several instances of them breaking off in the bore and becoming lodged in the bore. IIRC, there have been instances where nothing could remove them from the bore, and the barrel had to be replaced. I think that is because once the cord breaks, the only way to get them out is with a rod. Using a rod then can pack them more tightly in the bore, making them irretrievable.

Merc
03-02-2018, 02:28
I no longer use my bore snake because I didn't think it was a good idea to keep pulling all that dirt and fouling it picks up on the previous pass through the bore. I used rods until I got my hands on the Otis pull-through system. It's does a nice job and is much faster than rods. It uses coated steel cables instead of cords as the puller and the terminal ends are threaded so separation is nearly impossible unless the user forgets to tighten them. There's nothing to bunch up and become lodged inside the bore so the terminal end could theoretically be tapped out with a rod if separation did occur (never tried it).

Chris F
04-08-2018, 11:56
What is Kroil #9? Google turned up nothing...Is it a mix your own (like Ed's Red) of Kroil and Hoppe's #9? What proportion and with what benefit? Always looking for something less smelly that Butch's or Shooters Choice.

Merc
04-12-2018, 06:00
What is Kroil #9? Google turned up nothing...Is it a mix your own (like Ed's Red) of Kroil and Hoppe's #9? What proportion and with what benefit? Always looking for something less smelly that Butch's or Shooters Choice.

I found this information on Kroil, but nothing on #9. Try www.kanolabs.com. It’s a penetrating oil so it will probably have an ability to react with metal fouling.

bruce
04-12-2018, 06:28
Have routinely used Bore Snakes on my rifles. They work very well. Not designed for be all to end all cleaning. But, do fine for wiping out the bore between relays, etc. Keep one in my pocket when out hunting. Years ago, took a slip down a bank into some water/mud. Hard to clean a barrel w/ no rod, etc. Was carrying a M-1 that morning. Got it clean enough to finish the day with a very nice deer. Afterward, always have cleaning materials in zip lock bag. The Otis system is fine. No knocks against it. But, simply don't see any need for a full cleaning kit when out in the field or at a match. The Bore Snake works fine. It is no bother to use. Put it in the washing machine at the house and it comes out nice and clean. If the cord gets worn, it's no big deal to throw it away and buy another one. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

fguffey
04-26-2018, 10:02

There was a time they used lead on the end of a string to get it started and that still works, And then there were rifles that came with a soft metal chain, I still have a few of those.

F. Guffey