PDA

View Full Version : help with identifying a bayonet

Timmer
09-23-2009, 06:17
When I was a student in college way back in the early 70's I purchased a bayonet at a estate sale. Now I would like to know what I really have. The blade is 10" long from point to guard and is marked SIMSON & SUHL. On the guard it is numbered # N 90xx. The scabbard is leather with metal on each end that appears to have staples/loops connecting the metal to the leather. Can anyone identify what I have? Thanks.

Timmer
09-23-2009, 06:27
Okay, I think I found my answer. According to a search on the internet this is a Model 1893 Spanish mauser bayonet. The funny thing is it fits my Eddystone 1917 30-06 rifle. Although the lock up isn't tight as there is play up and down when installed. Does anyone know of a way to "tighten up that play? Thanks.

Dick Hosmer
09-25-2009, 07:53
Cannot think of any way to reduce play without destructively modifying either artifact. While neither item is rare, the thought of damaging something to produce a mating that NEVER ocurred in nature, and which any collector would laugh at, is just plain silly. If you want a bayonet for your Enfield, buy a proper one. If cost is an issue, then first sell the Mauser bayonet to someone who needs one. Just my .02, after 40 years of collecting - no personal offense intended.