PDA

View Full Version : What type of Mauser action is this?

Danny
06-22-2010, 01:42
Today, I went in to a new shop and saw a sporterized Mauser with an action that I didn't recognize the origin of. The action looked to have no writing where the crest was. The crest appeared to be two things crossed. One was a sword, and the other might have been a kind of sword, but it was difficult to telll as the action was polished and it was a bit thin. What Mauser might that have been?

Thanks,

Danny

randy langford
06-22-2010, 04:41
Danny
Sounds like a Spanish 1916 civil guard Mauser they were chambered in 7x57 but some were later re-barreled in 7.62x51 hope this helps Randy

Danny
06-23-2010, 08:56
Danny
Sounds like a Spanish 1916 civil guard Mauser they were chambered in 7x57 but some were later re-barreled in 7.62x51 hope this helps Randy

That's the pre model 98, right, maybe a 93? If so, that wasn't it. I had one of those before. This was definitely a model 98 of some kind.

Danny

dogtag
06-24-2010, 02:59
What you saw is a 1916 Spanish "Falangist" short rifle.
Sword crossing [what looks like a bundle of sticks ??]
Used in the Spanish civil war.

randy langford
06-24-2010, 05:02
Danny Dogtag is right but I am not sure if they were large ring or small ring. Is the receiver ring larger then the mid portion of the receiver that is a sure way to tell

Danny
06-24-2010, 05:33
What you saw is a 1916 Spanish "Falangist" short rifle.
Sword crossing [what looks like a bundle of sticks ??]
Used in the Spanish civil war.

dogtag,
Thanks for the info. I can't be really sure about the "bundle of sticks", but I'd have to guess that it's a good possibility. The rifle was sporterized and polished once, the object other than the sword was kind of hard to decipher as to what it was. I sat and studied it for a while. I'd have to go back and look again to be sure, but I think we have a winner here. The sword on the ring kind of resembled a heavy sword, something like a big Roman sword, not something like, say a USMC officer's/enlisted sword.

Danny

Danny
06-24-2010, 05:41
Danny Dogtag is right but I am not sure if they were large ring or small ring. Is the receiver ring larger then the mid portion of the receiver that is a sure way to tell

Randy,
Thanks. It was without a doubt a large ring action, and let's say, for sake of argument, that it was a '98 Mauser "look alike", because I don't know enough about Mausers to identify a given model as being a strict pattern '98 or "kind of similar to '98" pattern, such as some of the ones that are 98 pattern but deviate in some areas such as length, or other issues. I hope that was clear, because my knoledge and terminology for the '98 Mauser is lacking.

In any case, it was pretty nicely done and NOT drilled and tapped for a scope, but not what I would want as a finished product, and too expensive to buy for just an action. I'd only use an action from something that had no collector interest. I consider it nice that it was NOT drilled and tapped for a scope because you never really know who did the work and how badly the holes could be off.

Danny

dogtag
06-24-2010, 05:46
Glad to help. Pity it was sporterized. Anyhow, as to the "Bundle of sticks" -
whatever they are, they are held at both ends with a ring. Bundle is quite thick,
and the sword is quite heavy, as you said. Sword handle is made up of 4 balls.
Sword point is toward gas escape hole.
There, that should identify it !!

Gelar123
08-13-2010, 10:27
Sheldon Greene is a partner in the three lawyer San Francisco law firm of Greene & Allison. The firm works with over 40 credit unions on the West Coast.

http://www.sheldongreene.net/?page_id=2